Subject: Re: bazel-zig-cc contributions

From: Motiejus Jakštys <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2021 22:01:28 +0200

On Mon, Dec 06, 2021 at 05:57:46PM +0000, Thomas Way wrote:
>    Hey Motiejus!
>    Thank you so much for your work on the Zig CC rules. They're been
>    extremely helpful and a true gamechanger for the way we work with our
>    repository.
>    Per Zig's cache race conditions, we've made some changes to the rules and
>    were wondering what the best way to contribute them would be?

Hi Thomas!

See [1]; I also recommend you to subscribe. I haven't heard of anyone
using bazel-zig-cc, so I guess I'll need to be more careful/upfront
about breaking changes.

>    A quick summary:
>    - Use an alias for the Go-style toolchain. This should be more efficient.
>    - Some general cleanup of unused features (i.e unnecessary filegroups).
>    - Most importantly: Use a cache location inside Bazel. We found that
>    sometimes Zig's cache would become corrupt on the host and would become
>    irrecoverable even after running `bazel clean --expunge`. Using a cache
>    location inside Bazel fixes this issue and is good practise in general I
>    believe.

These sound great, send them over!

>    I look forward to hearing from you.

Have you found a need/way to specify a different default url for the zig
bundle? I've been playing with it[2], but unsatisfied with the API so
far.

Motiejus

[1]: https://sr.ht/~motiejus/bazel-zig-cc/#contribution-guidelines 
[2]:
https://git.sr.ht/~motiejus/bazel-zig-cc/commit/8f5f249227aa6a9d3de441058eb9d3aae330620b