Subject: bazel-zig-cc v1.0.0-rc4: call for testers

From: Motiejus Jakštys <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 15:19:04 +0200

Hi all,

I just cut a v1.0.0-rc4 for testing. Comparing to v0.9 series it does
not have new features, but offers substantial performance gains:
* all compiler paths are now relative, making it remote-cache friendly.
* number of files it needs to pull in to the sandbox is much smaller:
2k for a compile step of x86_64-linux-gnu.2.28, and ~3700 for the
linking step. Compared to almost 16k previously.

Please test and report back any regressions. I tested Uber's Go
Monorepo with it, it seems fine. However, we are very x86_64-linux-gnu
centric (both host and target). Please run your tests *especially* if
you have a different environment.

All bazel-zig-cc contributors should have received an email asking for
permission to re-license it to Apache License 2.0. If you contributed
to bazel-zig-cc and did not receive that email, please let me know! I
am still waiting for a few replies. The sooner we change the license,
the sooner bazel-zig-cc can be put under Uber's open-source umbrella.

Motiejus

---

From: Fabian Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 18:17:30 +0000

Hi Motiejus,

I've successfully tested v1.0.0-rc4 on both linux_amd64 and 
windows_amd64 as both hosts and targets with my project. Performance 
looks very good and I couldn't spot any regressions.

Best,
Fabian