Subject: what's cooking in bazel-zig-cc

From: Motiejus Jakštys <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 09:59:29 +0300

Hi folks,

I made a few -rc releases and things went silent. Well, they are
silent publicly, but I am very much working on v1.0.

A few open tracks:
- bazel-zig-cc is much slower than gcc/clang when building many small
binaries. https://git.sr.ht/~motiejus/test-zigcc reproduces it whlist
comparing to grailbio/bazel-toolchain.
- relative ZIG_LIB_DIR does not work correctly in zig, tracked in
https://github.com/ziglang/zig/issues/13050 ; currently bazel-zig-cc
ships a forked version which includes #13051 (created using
https://git.sr.ht/~motiejus/bazel-zig-cc/tree/main/item/contrib/README-patched.md
).
- rare race in zig when building glibc stubs:
https://github.com/ziglang/zig/issues/13160

I am currently narrowing down (1), so I can remove Bazel out of the
picture and engage ZSF. The other two have been escalated to ZSF under
Uber's support contract and we are awaiting resolution.

Hold tight!

Motiejus